Hepatitis C is an invitation to improve my health. Here is a list of basic suggestions that I started with when I was first diagnosed with hepatitis C. Modify it to fit your needs; add to it, improve it, make it your own.
1) Avoid alcohol use.
2) Laugh as much as possible.
3) Quit smoking.
4) Join a hepatitis C group, in either your community or on the web.
5) Eat a well-balanced diet.
6) Drink at least 8 full glasses of water daily.
7) Get at least 8 hours of sleep per night.
8) If you are not satisfied with your medical care, say something or change it.
9) Aim to exercise every day. Everything you do to move your entire body counts.
10) Learn stress reduction techniques.
11) Do not ingest anything without understanding if there are any risks involved.
12) Remember you are human. Forgive yourself for not being perfect. Just keep trying and being kind to yourself.
I invite you to find a few minutes in your schedule and make a list of your own. Write down all the things you can do that will help you manage hepatitis C. If you suffer from amnesia from time to time, the list can be a powerful reminder of how much power we have. Ultimately, it is the power of the human spirit that gives us the courage to live, so claim your power today.
What would you add, change, or delete from this list?