Following yesterday’s Earth Day celebrations, I want to mention another way to give back to the earth and humanity—organ donation. I know I just blogged on this, but really, one cannot say too much on this subject. Here are some facts about organ donation:
- There is a huge shortage of donated organs.
- Someone is added to the organ donor waiting list every 10 minutes.
- Approximately 18 people die every day waiting for a donated organ.
- More than 16,000 people are on the liver transplant list waiting for a donated organ.
- Anyone can donate an organ, regardless of age, race, or medical history (minors need to have permission from parent or guardian; although anyone can donate, not all organs are suitable for transplantation).
- All major religions in the U.S. support organ donation and see it as a compassionate gift.
- If you are a potential organ donor, saving your life is still the medical priority.
- Organ donors may still have an open casket funeral.
- There is no cost to the donor or family for organ donation.
For more information, visit DonateLife